Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quincy Jones Tribute



Remember when Tevin Campbell was like the man in the 90s? Well, ok, he was never the man, but he was sorta a hot kid and he had some great songs, courtesy of Prince and Quincy Jones. Well, he came out to honor the latter at ASCAP's tribute to Jones for his 75th birthday. It was truly an old-school night _ not only did Tevin sing his "Tomorrow" song (with his now deep voice), but James Ingram killed it with "One Hundred Ways," then again with Patti Austin with "How Do You Keep The Music Playing" (that might be my wedding song one day, though I am partial to "Feelin' On Yo Booty.")


Tony Bennett also performed, as did Siedah Garrett (she co-wrote "Man in the Mirror" and sang on MJ's "I Can't Stop Loving You," for all y'all who are sleeping on Ms. Siedah). Lesley Gore also sang the hits Quincy created for her (including "You Don't Own Me") while Tamia and Take 6 were also among the performers. Whoopi Goldberg was in the crowd while I could have sworn I saw Lou Gossett, but I didn't wanna break my neck to get an extra close look.


We had to leave early because of my furry children so we missed Quincy actually speak but the night was made for me when Patti and James sang.

No comments: