Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Madonna's Malawi documentary




Remember the last time Madonna did a documentary, and the most shocking thing involved the creative use of a water bottle (so I've been told at least ...)

Well, don't expect any such frivolity when you watch "I Am Because We Are," her new documentary on Malawi, the southern African nation from which she took home David, the child she is trying to adopt.

The movie is a very, very, very, very, very (did I say very?) depressing look at the tragedy of this country, and another one of those movies that makes you wonder if Africa will ever emerge out of its malaise. This movie was particularly paralyzing for me _ after watching how the AIDS crisis is devastating the country, the abject poverty, the superstitions that are holding them back and the horrific violence that some perpetrate on each other, it made me wonder if any help would help at all. Madonna tries to end the movie on a hopeful note but after almost two hours of nothing but misery it's a tough sell.

Madonna showed the movie at the Tribeca Film Festival, in front of packed theater _ Natalie Portman was in the audience, as was her BFF Rosie O'Donnell. She later answered questions for the crowd ... all in all, it was a riveting evening. But I so needed a pick me up after that!

No comments: